Instructions for standard hand signals while driving
Hand signals for driving are used to alert other road users of your next move when your car light signals can not be used. This article explains the hand signals drivers can use while driving.
It is very important to always think safety while driving. Part of safety consciousness is alerting other drivers on the road of your next move per time.
Although virtually all vehicles have light signal such as brake lights and trafficators, circumstances can still arise where the driver will have to use either of his hands to signal to other drivers on the road. Instances when a driver could use hand signals for driving in place of regular signals include when turn signals such as the traficator is bad.
1. Instructions of 4 different hand signals for driving
As already stated earlier on in this article, it is very important to maintain clear communication with fellow drivers on the road especially when changing from an earlier course, e.g. when changing lane or when taking a turn.
The specified hand signals for driving for drivers who for one reason or the other are unable to use their turn signals are as follows:
- Hand signal for left turn
- Hand signal for right turn
- Hand signal for stopping
- Hand signal for pass
Three most basic hand signals for drivers
1.1. How to make hand signal for left turn
To make a left turn signal with your hands, follow the following steps:
- Put out your left arm from the driver’s side window and keep it straight with your fingers pointing straight, all at angle 1800.
- To finally execute the left turn hand signal, ensure you have gotten the attention of the driver behind you before proceeding with your intent.
Hand signal for turning left
>>> You should also check: Understanding SRS sign: What it means to your safety on the road
1.2. How to make hand signal for right turn
To make a right turn signal with your hands, you are to follow the following steps:
- Put your left arm out from the driver’s side window and keep your elbow at angle 900 with your fingers pointing upwards.
- Be sure you have gained the attention of the driver behind you before proceeding with your intended right turn.
Hand signal for turning right
1.3. How to make hand signal for stop
In addition to hand signals for left and right turns, there is also an accepted hand signal for stopping or slowing down.
For the stop hand signal, you need to press the brake while making the hand sign all at the same time. The hand signal is as follows:
- Put out your left arm from the driver’s side window and bend your elbow facing downwards at an angle 900. Your open palm should face in the direction of the driver behind you.
- As always, be sure you have the attention of the driver behind you before you complete your purposed intent of stopping.
Hand signal for stopping or slowing down
>>> Find your answer! What does the neutral gear do in an automatic transmission car?
1.4. How to make hand signal for pass
If for any reason while driving, you want vehicles coming behind you to go ahead of you, simply follow the following steps to make the pass hand signal.
- Put out your left arm from the driver’s side window and bend your elbow at an angle 1200 and your palm facing forward.
- Make a circular clockwise motion with your palm
Now that you know the various hand signals for making turns, stops or overtakes, it is important that you make these hand signals on time before proceeding with your intention. The best way to give hand signals is at least 100 metres away earlier to give drivers behind you ample time to realize what you want to do. It is recommended that you also maintain your hand signal until you have completed your turn, stop or overtake intent.
Hand signal for overtaking
2. When are you to use the hand signals?
Under normal circumstances, you are not required to use the hand signals for driving. But under some circumstances, most countries traffic laws require that you use them to alert other drivers on the road.
Below are some circumstances when you are required to use hand signals for driving:
You brake light or tail light is bad
You are driving a vehicle without turn signals or riding a bicycle
You are driving at certain times of the day or evening when it is difficult to spot light signals because of sunlight.
>>> For your own safety, you must know What you should do in the car before you drive. Check tips in the link!
People have just commented on
I've ones registered online some few years back and was given a number ID to log in but didn't immediately but saved the ID in my phone. I l...
Looking to buy Accord15/05/2020
where to buy this in lagos?
Diddy is not only a rapper but also a great businessman too.
This guy should get even more fame in the music game!