Auto health: What does bleeding brake mean & how you do it?
Many car owners might not know what it means to bleed their vehicle's brakes and why this needs to be done every 2 to 3 years. Click here for see why it is important!
It is quite possible you have come across the term “Brake Bleeding” and you are probably wondering what it really means, especially to your vehicle.
It might sound a bit medical to some people, while others might not even have clue on its meaning. In case you fall into any of these categories, do not feel bad as it is quite an unusual term used among car owners and definitely not a crime not to know.
1. Definition of brake bleeding
Brake bleeding is an act performed on hydraulic system of braking in which brake lines – pipes and hoses comprising brake fluid – are cleansed of air bubbles. This is an often used maintenance practice, deployed on hydraulic brakes in bubble removal to ensure safe and effective brake operations.
This usually falls within the category of routine maintenance, and must be performed over the vehicle’s lifespan. To keep your car in perfect state according to some experts, it is recommended you bleed the brakes every two to three years.
Engaging in the habit of bleeding the brakes ensures optimal automotive performance, maintenance and safety
It is very important to bleed the brake since bubbles present in the engine would reduce the hydraulic pressure created within the system. Consequently, the brake’s effectiveness would be reduced.
>>> Editor's pick for you:
2. How do you bleed the brake pedals?
It isn’t as simple as it sounds. It is better you leave it for expert to handle on your behalf. However, it isn’t bad knowing what experts would do on your car if they are bleeding the brakes.
- There is need to loosen the screw for bleeding of brake, which is found at the back of each brake. After which, you should tighten it again and not too hard. To loosen these screws, special bleeder wrenches are very suitable for the task.
- There is need to place a flexible rubber hose over the bleeder screw’ end while the other hose’s end would be put in a jar. This jar will therefore be used to cover the hose’s end by filling it up with brake fluid.
- The service of another person would be required to get the brake pedal pumped few times and get the brake pedal held down while the bleeder screw is opened.
- There will be visibility of the air bubbles in the fluid after the brake fluid had already been squirted out. The bleeder screws have to be tightened again while there is depression of the brake pedal. At this point, the brake pedal would be released.
- There should be repetition of this process until the air bubbles are no longer seen in the fluid. This process should be done repeatedly on every wheel.
People have just commented on
Wizkid is my mentol
Wizkid is our mentol
OMG, I am jelious. I absolutely love Eminem's cars. :)
Oh, they're really expensive! But most of them are cool.
Good day, I love your article and I commend your effort in gathering these information. Please I would like to suggest you add iMart Nigeria...